Sunday, February 10, 2013

Our Text

The Faculty Commons at Bellevue College selected How Learning Works: 7 Research-Based Principles for Smart Teaching by Susan A. Ambrose, Michael W. Bridges, Michele DiPietro, Marsha C. Lovett, and Marie K. Norman as the central readings for our class/discussion.

How Learning Works book cover
When I was teaching BUS 120 - Organizational Behavior, the texts often referred to learning involves a change in behavior. I always questioned that notion but was unclear on what learning meant.  Since becoming involved in the Online Education program at the UW-Stout and in reading the just the intro of this text, I am finally getting a handle on what learning really is.
  1. Learning is a process, not a product.
  2. Learning involves change in knowledge, beliefs, behaviors, or attitudes.
  3. Learning is not something done to students, but rather something students themselves do. (Ambrose, 2010)
Ambrose, Susan A., Michael W. Bridges, Michele DiPietro, Marsha C. Lovett, and Marie K. Norman. How learning works: seven research-based principles for smart teaching. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass, 2010. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment